Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Training, Training, and More Training

I don't have a lot to write about today...or rather, I am not going to write about a lot because I am not only in need of a nap, but I want to watch the Olympics too!  I just thought that I would drop in and give a quick update on my training and a comparison of Insanity and P90X.

I didn't do much over the weekend because I was glued to the Olympics.  I missed my team run on Saturday morning for a couple of reasons.  Some friends came over Friday night for the opening ceremonies and we indulged in a few beers.  Mikey was also diagnosed with a double ear infection on Friday morning, so I didn't really want to leave Maddi to deal with that Saturday morning.  The final reason is because the run started at 6am in Cary...I was going to have to get up at 4:30 in order to have breakfast, get ready, and leave by 5:15am.  For those of you that know me well, you know that the 4:30-6:30 times only come once a day for me...I am NOT a morning person, so when my alarm went off at 4:30 I promptly turned it off.  So enough with excuses, here are my thoughts on P90X vs. Insanity so far.

I like Insanity better, it doesn't require any extra equipment and it can be as hard or as easy as you make it.  I like a good challenge, so I go as hard as I can for as long as I can.  No matter how in shape I am, I am always completely smoked by the end.  I got wonderful results with Insanity, but not as good as I felt like I should have.  I feel like I already see a difference from P90X.  Its not straight up cardio, there are several days of weights, which sometimes makes me feel like I'm not getting in as much of a workout.  It requires several sets of weights and, ideally, a pull up bar.  I do feel like this is a better cross trainer than Insanity.  There are breaks from the crazy jumping so my legs have some time to recover after a long run.  I am able to lift on the days of my short runs and get my cardio and plyometrics in on the days designated for cross training.  The cardio and plyometrics is not anywhere near as intense as Insanity, but I think it does a better job of getting my heart rate in the target zone.  I'm not as smoked at the end, but still working hard.  I think with Insanity, my heart rate was well above the target so my results were not as good as if I had held back a little.

So in short, I like Insanity better, but I think P90X is working better.  I am only about a week and a half in, so we will reevaluate at the end of the month!  I'm looking at a 12 mile team run this weekend!  Hope my knees are ready for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment