I didn't write about it after the first class (partially because I forgot my camera), but I signed Mikey up for gymnastics and it has been awesome! We meet once a week for 45 minutes and its a great opportunity for Mikey to play with kids "his age"...really more his size and get his energy out. I didn't really know what to expect out of a class meant for 1-2 year olds because I didn't really picture children that age following directions. I have some memories of my gymnastics class at 2 and 3 years old and they involve walking in a line and waiting my turn. I knew there was absolutely no way Mikey would do either of those things so I was a little worried that he would be "found out".
Franny sent me the link to this class that just happened to be at the gym where I competed as a gymnast (for a very short time). The class description said that kids must be 1-2 years old and they must be 1 by the class start date. Obviously, Mikey is not 1, but developmentally he is well past 1 so I decided to call and see if they would make an exception. They said absolutely no way...but I never gave them my name :-) I decided to sign up online and change Mikey's birthday (and just hope that they wouldn't ask for a birth certificate) so that he could be in the class with Colt. I WIN! He is bigger and walking/running better than a lot of the kids in the class so it was a really good decision on my part. There are some kids in the class that aren't even walking, so they have absolutely no clue.
The class itself is not really a class, we are basically just paying for time at the gym, which is fine with me. They open the whole gym to us, turn on some kid music, and let the babies have a free for all. Mikey really enjoys dancing to the music, chasing giant balls, and climbing on the mats and bars. He's not too sure about the tumble track or trampolines, but there is plenty for him to do there. The class is for 45 minutes, once a week for a month. I'm gonna have to change his birthday again the next time I sign him up because he'll miss it by a couple days, but oh well! What NRG doesn't know won't hurt them. If you're in the Raleigh area and are interested in putting your kid in gymnastics here is the link: North Raleigh Gymnastics
Looks like Mikey is having a great time. I see that has has spotted the climbing wall. Keep your eyes open, if he is anything like his dad he'll want to climb, early and often.
ReplyDeleteGrandpa Ray