Back when we were in Oklahoma I learned about this Color run, where you wear a light colored t-shirt, run a 5K, and get painted. I had planned to do it up in Tulsa with Sam, but it got sold out before I ever signed up. When Christy told me that the one in Raleigh was Oct. 27 we decided to sign up. Since we both have a tendency to hurt ourselves we created a team and named it accident prone. What we really should have named it was Inclement Weather (since my wedding was during a blizzard and hers was during a tornado outbreak...and I would run a marathon in a hurricane that same weekend...). Apparently this is the first year of this race series, so its pretty new. You could definitely tell by their organization. It lacked quite a few things, but has the potential to be one of the top races. It appeals to everyone, I mean, who doesn't wanna run and get painted? I went and picked up our packets on Friday, it was a pretty quick and painless process. There were no corrals or race times for this race, you could start anywhere between 9 and 10:15, so we decided to get in the first heat since I had to drive up to MD later that day.
There was a cool little thing going on in the amphitheater, some dude was throwing out paint packets (it was powder), t shirts, wrist bands, and just getting everyone psyched up. There were lots of white t-shirts, sun glasses, and tutus for the race. The race benefitted the Special Olympics, it looks like they are doing quite well, there were a lot of people there. We enjoyed the excitement for a hot minute before heading over to the start line. We lined up at the very front so we wouldn't have to weave too much...that was not the greatest idea as we almost got trampled by the plethora of children running this race. Once they blew by us we got on a good little pace. We could have run it faster, but I kind of held us back so that I wasn't hurting for my marathon the next morning. We both joked about our team name as we ran over gravel paths that went through the Walnut Creek parking lots. We made our way out to road for a little while before turning back into the pavilion. There were 2 color bombs where volunteers threw powdered paint at us and 2 stations where they sprayed us with paint. We finished in what was supposed to be a huge participant color bomb at the end, but I think everyone missed the memo. The race ended up being short of 5K, which is 3.1 miles, we only ran about 2.82 miles. Oh well, maybe it will be a little more organized next year. Definitely a race I will do again!
 |
| I didn't have a white shirt I was willing to get painted...so I wore one of Brian's shirts...lol |
 |
| The sunglasses were multi-purpose. They made us look "Rad" and they protected our eyes from the paint. |
 |
| Some of the kiddos that sprinted off...they lasted about a mile before they started walking |
 |
| Down the street |
 |
| First color bomb |
 |
| "Christy...look! Take a picture!" |
 |
| Finish |
 |
| Man, we are awesome...err...Rad |
 |
| Note to self: Don't rip open the powder packet with your teeth |
 |
| Please excuse my sweaty, disgusting self...I can't help it. Check out my sweet shorts though! |
 |
| Smurf hands! Getting in the spirit for Wear Blue: Run to Remember |
 |
| Check out the clean spot from my arm band! |
 |
| Fun times! I like the pattern on our elbows...lol |
 |
| Clean spot from her fuel belt |
 |
| This was AFTER we cleaned up...lol |
No comments:
Post a Comment