Oh my gosh! I have been a TERRIBLE blogger! I don't think I've updated for a couple months, so I'll try to quickly hit the highlights here.
My sister came to visit in August before she started law school. She stayed for just shy of a week. It was so nice. We didn't do anything really, we just sat around and watched shark week, played with Mikey, and she got to meet my friends. Her last night here we hosted a pulled pork off. Both our neighbor and us made pulled pork and had a bunch of friends over. He made the texas garbage that just tastes like smoke and sweet bbq sauce, but we made the glorious glorious Carolina pulled pork (the only kind there is). It didn't turn out exactly how we thought, we assumed there would be a lot more mingling between parties, but they stayed at his house and our group stayed at ours. We enjoyed beers and the company of our good friends. It was so much fun having Maddi here and I'm so glad that she was able to come!
Nothing really notable happened in September aside from the Geronimo Birthday celebration. They have a parade and bull riding competition every year that the whole town gets pretty excited about. We took Mikey and he seemed to have a pretty good time. They had a local band play after the bull riding was over and Mikey tore up the dance floor. We continued our weekly playgroup, I got on the ball with planning Mikey's birthday party and started preparing for it. My mom arrived for a 10 day stay the last weekend of September.
Once my mom arrived we went non-stop. She bought us a really cute bench, a bistro table and chairs, and a bunch of flowers for the house. We cleaned, crafted, and decorated for Mikey's party. We also shopped for more toys for this spoiled little boy. It was crazy, I'm sure she went home exhausted. Brian's parents arrived a couple of days before Mikey's party, just in time to see me and my mom go into full crazy party mode. Mikey's birthday was on Friday, October, 4 and we had an all day family celebration. He had donuts for breakfast while he opened his presents, Silver Spoon for lunch, and steak and cupcakes for dinner. Mikey's party (which will get its own post) was on Saturday. The weather started out very cold, windy, and a little rainy. Thankfully the clouds parted and the sun came out for PERFECT fall weather. We had 40 of our closest friends over to celebrate. It was so much fun! Brian's dad grilled all the food so that we could both enjoy the company of our friends. As the afternoon wore on people slowly trickled out. A few of our friends stayed late to enjoy some beers and adult conversation. My mom took Mikey inside to get in his PJs and watch TV so we could have a little freedom. She provided such a wonderful break from parenting while she was here, she really did everything and Mikey is completely obsessed with her.
On Sunday we drove up to Oklahoma City for "A Day Out With Thomas". Mikey is completely obsessed with Thomas the train. When he saw the giant Thomas at the train station I think he thought he had died and gone to heaven. He was completely in awe and had a blast riding on Thomas, playing with the train tables, and meeting Sir Topham Hat. While in OKC, we stopped by Cattleman's for a late lunch/early dinner. They are known for their steaks. With full bellies, we hit the road back home and most of us slept in the car! We arrived home just in time to relax, clean up the house and yard from the party, and then turn on the 49ers game. We bid farewell to Brian's parents that night, as they were leaving very early in the morning. My mom left Monday around noon and it was by far the hardest goodbye I've ever had to say to her. She always cries when she says goodbye to Mikey, but this time he knew what was going on. He flipped out when she got out of the car and when I tried to put him back into his carseat he just lost it. Crying and reaching for NayNay. The whole way home he cried for her, when we got out of the car at the house he continued to look and cry for her. It was a the saddest thing. I may or may not have shed some tears over it. It just completely broke my heart, it was so hard and made me feel terrible inside. I hope we can get back to the East Coast soon. I don't know if I can handle another goodbye like that.
I spent the whole Columbus Day weekend studying for an exam I had this week. I did manage to take a study break to take a trip to the "pumpkin patch". I say "pumpkin patch" because there were no pumpkins. They did have a corn maize and haunted corn maize that we could walk through, they also had a hay ride and a fun little cow barrel ride for Mikey, but it was pretty pathetic, especially when you compare it to Hillridge Farm. Thankfully, all of my exams are over for a little bit and I don't have anything big that I am in charge of or responsible for coming up for awhile. Today is the first day I feel like I can rest without anything looming. I will probably get on my Thank you notes for Mikey's birthday and start working on two paintings that I need to have done before mid-december.

















No comments:
Post a Comment