Sunday, March 12, 2017

Welcome Home Brian!

Since he's been home for about a month I figured it was about time for a post recapping Brian's homecoming so here goes.

Initially, Brian was supposed to return on February 10, but after a rough day of Michael sobbing huge crocodile tears because he missed his dad, I asked if Brian could change his flight to the 7th so that he wouldn't have to miss super dad's day earlier in that week at Michael's school.  I knew it would crush that poor child if he had to watch all of the other dads come while he was still missing his so terribly.  Thankfully, the Army was flexible for once and he was able to push his flight up a couple of days.  We still planned to surprise Michael and tell him that Brian was coming on the 8th and then shock the socks off of him when we picked him up from school.  Little did I know, Brian had a surprise of his own.  Since he knows better that to just walk through the door and surprise me he sent some flowers, chocolates, and a card on our anniversary (January 30) revealing that he would be returning on the 4th!!!  I was ecstatic and shocked!  I believe the text I sent him was a photo of the card with a caption that read "you bastard..."

Since he would be returning on Saturday instead of Tuesday I had to come up with a new story to tell Michael because he would surely be suspicious if we got dressed all nice, made signs, and went to the airport.  So after some brainstorming I decided to make signs with the boys that said "I don't know that my daddy is coming home TODAY!" and another that said "And I can't read!"  Its good that he came home when he did because Michael CAN read now!!  As we were making the signs I told the boys that we had to go to the airport to pick up Daddy's bikes that he was shipping home and we needed the signs so that the people at the airport would know who to bring them to.  They bought the story and didn't ask any more questions about it.  Michael did question why he had to dress handsome and take pictures, but I just told him that we were practicing for Tuesday and I wanted to take the pictures now so that he wouldn't have to take any on the real day.  He accepted the story and went on complaining about his shoes being uncomfortable.



 Luckily, Brian's flight went through Charlotte which is only about a 30 minute flight, so I had him call me when he boarded the plane there so that we could leave the house and get to the airport (which is only about 15 mins away), get parked, and get inside by the time he was landing.  Things were going smoothly until we got to the airport and he called to say they hadn't even closed the plane doors yet, they delayed about an hour.  So I was stuck at the airport with my two anxious boys who didn't want to listen.  Thankfully, I did have my mom and sister to help calm my nerves, wrangle my boys, and eventually take pictures for me.  About an hour after arriving at the airport I got the text that he landed and then he called as he was coming up the escalator to walk through the hallway that ends the secure area.  When we hung up the phone we got into position and the tears started flowing.  I knew I was less than a minute away from having my family whole again.  I couldn't hold it back. It was finally over.



 Shortly after we hung up, I spotted his blue t-shirt as Michael still stood holding his sign completely oblivious.  Brian pointed at him as he got closer and closer.  Michael uttered "I think I know that man..." before coming to the realization that it was Brian!  He was shocked, he didn't say hardly anything, just smiled.  He smiled the greatest smile I've ever seen on him and just stood there as Brian snatched him up and hugged him.  It makes me misty eyed just thinking about it.  Once Parker realized who it was and that Michael was hugging on him he wanted some love too so he reached for him and snuggled in as well.  This was the first time I had to wait my turn for a hug and a kiss from him, but it was worth the extra two minutes.  The boys were all over him the rest of the day and didn't want to leave his side.  It was such a sweet reunion.












Michael and Brian fell back into a good routine immediately and have had so much fun together.  Parker was a little more clingy to me, mostly he didn't want to share me.  If Brian laid his head on me Parker would kick at him and tell him to "move" while climbing in for the snuggle.  He woke in the middle of the night and got in bed with us before trying to kick Brian out of the bed.  It took a few days, but now, after a month he will let Brian put him to bed which is a huge relief for me.

Since Brian's return we have taken a trip to Disney, recovered from said trip, and just enjoyed being a complete family again.  He has given me such a break and its been amazing.  He takes the boys to school, if Parker doesn't have school he takes him to the park, he takes them out for breakfast on the weekends, and he had been handling the bathing of the boys in addition to cooking several nights.  He's been a saint!  I feel refreshed and rejuvenated after having a bit of time away from the kids and our normal routine, I needed it so badly.  Its been nice to be home so that we could go out on a few dates while my mom kept the boys too.  We feel back into our usual routine as if he had never left.  Its so nice to be able to do that and to have your number 1 by your side again.  I am so grateful that he made it home in one piece despite his little collision with a minivan.  

Overall, its been an incredibly successful and stress free reintegration.  I am so thrilled my family is whole again!

No comments:

Post a Comment