Thursday, March 22, 2012

My Favorite Baby Stuff

I know I have a page for this...so I will copy the information there, but now that Mikey is almost 6 months old I thought it would be good to list out all the stuff that has been most helpful/useful to us since his arrival.  I have included links to almost all of the products I discuss below.  Just click on the name if you wanna check 'em out!

Snap N Go:

This this is AMAZING.  I spent forever debating on how I wanted to do the stroller thing and my research paid off.  I decided against a travel system because the stroller didn't seem much smaller than the BOB that I was hell bent on getting.  I had heard that the Snap N Go was easy to break down and didn't take up much space in the trunk, so I went for it.  I am SO happy with that decision!  I figured that by the time Mikey was big enough to be in the regular stroller that I could just put him in an umbrella stroller, so I saw the travel system stroller as useless.  The Snap N Go has a nice HUGE basket that is easy to access, it takes up so little space both open and folded, and it so light and easy to maneuver.  Its so easy to just pop the carseat out of the base and right on to the Snap N Go.  I am so sad that I can't use it anymore (Mikey has gotten too heavy for me to lift him in the Infant carrier out of the car).  This is definitely something I would recommend to EVERYONE and I will be using again when the time comes!

BOB:
I also had the BOB adapter for the infant carrier...AWESOME



I LOVE my BOB.  Since I decided that I wanted to run a half marathon by the time Mikey was 6 months (mission accomplished!) I knew that I would need a good jogging stroller to tote him along in.  I had heard wonderful things about the BOB, but it is pretty pricey.  I looked at other joggers, but nothing came close in comparison...I had to have the BOB.  When we received a nice sized gift card it was the first thing I purchased.  It is so easy to fold and unfold, its extremely light considering its size, and its so easy to jog with!  Of course, jogging without it is much easier, but as far as running with a stroller goes...I LOVE IT!  Its got a fully reclining seat, a nice huge canopy, and many accessories to go with it.  I purchased a console to put my keys and water bottles in, I am a big fan of that.  I can also put my phone and iPod in there so that we have music while we run.  He is always so happy in it, Brian even took it with him during the half marathon.  Its got a decent sized basket on the bottom too.  Only drawback is the amount of space it takes up in the trunk.  The wheels are HUGE!  Its even easy to adjust the drift on it!  Another one that I will be using for a while and again when the time is right!

BOB Weather Shield:

This was a recent purchase due to the high winds here in OK.  I didn't take Mikey out running when the temperatures were really low or if it was super windy until we got this.  It keeps him nice and toasty inside, is well ventilated, and keeps the wind and rain off of him.  It even helps to cut through the wind better than without it!  I thought for sure it would act like a sail but it does just the opposite.  I think it will probably be too hot to use it during the summer, but for the wind, cold, and rain it is perfect!  One other drawback is that its kind of difficult to get on and off, but worth it to keep my little guy happy.

Beco Butterfly 2:

Another thing that I took a painfully long time to decide on was a baby carrier.  I wanted something that was lightweight since I get hot so easily, but I also wanted something with lots of back support for me and the proper support for baby.  I was pretty set on the Bjorn Air until I saw how little support it had for both of us. Then I found the Bjorn Synergy that Brian ended up getting, but that one you can only wear on the front of you and I wanted something that could go on the front and back.  Next I looked at the Ergo sport.  I was set on that until I tried it on.  It was pretty difficult to get on and off by myself...and that was without putting a baby in it.  When I came across the Beco Butterfly 2 it was everything I wanted.  It came with the infant insert and you can strap baby in before putting it on!  Its lightweight, comfortable, and can be worn on the front or the back.  I have used it to travel (didn't take a stroller), to grocery shop (before he could sit in the cart), and also when we had all day outings and I felt like he had been in the carseat for too long.  He sleeps like a champ in it, I think we both love it!  The only drawback is that they can't face out in it.  Beco does make another carrier that is capable of 4 carry positions, I'd like to try it, but I have no complaints about my Beco Butterfly 2!

Bottle Warmer:

A lot of people say that bottle warmers are useless and a waste of space...but I LOVE mine.  We use it all the time.  It has a little light that goes off when its done so there is no question.  Its small and doesn't take up much space.  Its something that I would recommend for sure!

Boppy:




Everyone needs one of these.  Even if you don't have children...its the greatest thing ever.  Its the best snuggle pillow for adults and its awesome for babies too.  When Mikey would nap on the couch with me I would put him down in it (never unattended) and he would sleep for hours.  He snuggled in it and seemed so happy there.  I was also able to use it as a nursing pillow (for the short time that I did).  Aside from that it also made it easier on the arms to hold the baby.  You just put it on your lap and rest your arms right on it while you're holding the baby.  Now I use it to put around Mikey when he's sitting.  He's still working on the sitting thing and sometimes falls to the sides.  Putting the boppy around him prevents him from falling over and hitting his head on the floor.  If you don't have a boppy go get one...now!

Pump in Style Advance:
This may be TMI, but I absolutely HATED breastfeeding and got very agitated with the baby when I was doing it.  I also resented Brian for it because he couldn't feed the baby for me.  After about 6 weeks I quit nursing and started pumping.  Since I was pumping so much it was important to have a good pump.  The PISA was pretty good, it was powerful and got what I needed to feed the baby.  Although I hated pumping too and gave that about 6 weeks before quitting.  I am so much happier after quitting all that nonsense.  Its so much easier to just pour some formula in a bottle and heat it up.

LilyPadz:
I used these instead of the disposable nursing pads during that short 3 months.  They just stick on and are much more comfortable than the other nursing pads.  They worked well really well and are obviously reusable.  You just wash them every night and they are good to go!

Bouncer:

The bouncer was great for when Mikey was little.  He liked being in it and loved the bouncing.  He would fall asleep in it easily and was entertained by the toys and mirror that dangled above him.  The only drawback was that he outgrew it...FAST.  Its now disassembled and sitting in his closet.

Swing:


Our days with the swing are numbered because he can now make it swing when its not turned on.  He takes it to the max too.  When it is turned on if he is not laying back it wont swing because he is so heavy.  This was a lifesaver though.  It allowed me to get dishes and cooking done and he would just chill.  It often times put him to sleep too.  He still enjoys it.

Rocker:
We put our Lay Z Boy in his room instead of spending a ton of money on a glider that isn't all that comfortable and that will likely not be used again after he gets a big boy room.  This was an awesome decision.  Its so comfortable, reclines nicely so that we could nap with him in the early days, and he LOVES to be rocked.  He could care less about gliding, but the rocking was the way I got him to sleep there for about 2 months.  When he gets a big boy room it can come back out into the living room!  Perfect!

Pacifier:

Mikey loves his paci...its awesome.  It plugs him right up if he is fussing and it satisfies his constant need to suck.  Its also that last little edge that puts him to sleep.  If he's rubbing the eyes and fussing a little you just pop it in and he's out!

Sleep Sheep:
The sleep sheep provides white noise.  Its a cute little stuffed sheep and attaches right to his crib.  Its makes 4 different sounds and also helps lull him to sleep.  It usually takes no longer than 10 minutes for it to get him down.

Baby Bullet:





I love my baby bullet.  I love making food for Mikey and I'm sure that I could just use the food processor or a blender, but the Baby Bullet is so cute and came with some pretty cool things.  First off, it came with a cookbook.  It has suggestions for foods to try at different ages and how to make a variety of foods.  It also comes with a log book to record their reactions to different foods.  The whole package included the mini blender cup, 2 different blades, the large blending cup, a spatula, 6 one serving bullets, and a freezer tray.  Its all BPA free and dishwasher safe (on the top shelf).  I absolutely love it, plus its all really cute :-)

Sophie:


I was hesitant to buy this at first.  I saw it as a $20 chew toy for dogs that someone was marketing for babies.  That may be all that it actually is, but Mikey (and pretty much every other baby) LOVES it.  Its light weight, easy to grab in many places, and has lots of places that are the perfect size to go into a teething mouth.  The rubber, apparently, feels great on their gums too.  And...Sophie is really cute.  Definitely not a waste of money (dog toy or not).

Krinkle Bear:

Mikey got Krinkle Bear for Christmas and loves him.  He's brightly colored, krinkles, squeaks, and has different textures and rings to hold.  Its very stimulating and seems to keep him very entertained in the car, in restaurants, or anywhere else.  I bought him a krinkle elephant, but he's not into it...he just loves Krinkle Bear!

Diaper Genie:
Of course you can use a garbage can and empty it every day, but the diaper genie is perfect for keeping the smell of diapers where they belong.  I had found mixed reviews on it, but I love mine.  I haven't had to buy refills yet and its so easy to empty.  Definitely a MUST HAVE!

Tommee Tippee Bibs:


These are awesome for when baby starts solids.  It is a fact that they will get food everywhere so a cloth bib is just going to get disgusting.  This rubber little gem has a pocket at the bottom to catch the food that misses or comes out of baby's mouth.  Once they are done you simply take it to the sink and rinse it off and its ready for use again!  It also rolls up very small so its easy to transport!  I would buy more, but I really only need the 2 that I have because they clean off so easily!

Jumper:

We bought a Bright Stars jumper to keep at my mom's house

The jumper has been INCREDIBLE since Mikey hit about 3 months old.  Basically once he could sit up with some assistance I started putting him in the thing.  It keeps him entertained for super long periods of time.  There is plenty for him to play with and chew on.  We have the Baby Einstein jumper and there are places to attach all sorts of different toys.  He never gets bored in there!  It is also good for helping develop his core strength.  All around a GREAT investment!

This was mostly for future reference for myself, but I hope those of you getting ready for babies have found it helpful too!

No comments:

Post a Comment