Friday, May 6, 2011

18 Weeks: Wild Wild Week!

Dear Baby C,

You have officially taken over my body.  Not only do I feel so out of shape, but now all of my speed is gone, I WANT MY WHEELS BACK!  Before I get into this more, lets start with the usual update.

You are now the size of a sweet potato or bell pepper (depending on where you get your information from).  You are about 6 inches long and about 7 ounces in weight.  You are looking nice and furry from your "wrinkle free coat" that you are now covered in (vernix) and your nervous system is developing more and more each day.  Keep those synapses coming!!

This week has been absolutely packed full of exciting things.  Friday was the Royal Wedding, the future king of England, Prince William, married his sweetheart, Kate Middleton.  The whole world was pretty pumped about this wedding and seeing her dress and I don't think anyone was disappointed.  I thought her dress was nice, not something that I would have picked for myself, but it was very appropriate for a future queen.  The wedding itself was also very nice, I have to say though, that I enjoyed the classiness of your father's and my wedding more.  I was not impressed with the fashion, those God awful hats or Westminster Abbey's decorations.  My mom did a much better job of decorating.  All in all, it was sweet and romantic.  That's enough about a country that no one cares about though...moving on.

Saturday, your dad went to this Star Wars expo with his company commander/good friend and his son.  They all were pretty excited and had a good time at their guys day out.  I played soccer in the morning and we stomped the team despite not having enough players to field a team and no goalie.  I love winning.  I went with Tricia and Emma to a movie (while the guys were gone) and then we all cooked out together since the weather was beautiful.  We stayed over for a while playing Guitar Hero (I beat both Brian and Chris) before we had to call it a night, I was pooped!


Sunday was another gorgeous day that we spent doing yard work, finishing cleaning the garage, and playing soccer.  We tied that game, but your dad almost scored his first goal and impressed everyone with his speed. He's picking the game up pretty quickly and I think he is secretly enjoying it.  We ended the day by grilling out and learning of the HUGE news that bin Laden had been killed!  You can read about that in yesterday's Throwback Thursday post.

On Monday I did some training with Sybil, it was supposed to be a group session, but I was the only person there...that worked out great for me!  Right as I was going into training I got a text from your dad informing me of the FRG meeting later that evening.  Not only was it an FRG meeting, but also a chili cookoff.  So at the last minute I ran out and got chili ingredients, whipped some up, and guess who won that chili cookoff???  That's right, ME!  I was so proud.

Tuesday was a special day, your Aunt Maddi turned 20...I can't believe she is that old!  It doesn't seem that long ago that the Lewises took me to the hospital to see her for the very first time.  I held her for hours and by the time we went home that night my neck was stuck in one direction from staring at her.  How time flies.  I dropped the boat off for its spring service and got it all hooked up in record time for me!  It was only about ten minutes from the time I walked into the garage until I rolled out of the driveway.  I then had a Ball planning/Steele Spouses Day meeting and when that was done I met your dad for lunch.  I ran errands the rest of the day before returning home for a small amount of cleaning.

Wednesday was BEAUTIFUL...and...WE PUT THE BOAT IN!  I kept Will for most of the day and took him with me to pick up the boat and then put it in the water.  We have a slip now, so we have the garage back!  We hung out on the water and at the marina for a bit before grabbing lunch and returning home.  When Tricia came to pick him up it was time for me to run out the door to train with Sybil and by the time I got home I was spent.  I did, however, still have the energy to cut the grass, it was just too pretty to not be outside.  It was a wonderful way to spend such a gorgeous day.

Thursday, I finally had the day to myself, I finally got caught up on my cleaning and laundry and was able to sit a breathe for a minute.  The only thing on the agenda was training with Sybil, which is always nice to get me out of the house and get my blood pumping.

Today, Friday was AWESOME!  It was Steele Spouses Day/Molly Pitcher Competition which consisted of the batallion's spouses performing the APFT (Army Physical Fitness Test), learning about the M777 (the canons the BN fires in combat), doing a timed obstacle course, and simulation training on the M16s and M4s (the rifles the guys carry in combat).  It was a GREAT time.  The APFT consists of 2 minutes of push-ups which I was the most nervous about.  I have never been good at push-ups and was glad to do these first.  I needed 17 to pass, I did 40!  Next is 2 minutes of sit-ups, which I usually rock.  I thought for sure that I could max this one with 80 sit-ups, but I seem to have someone inhabiting the region where my lower abdominal muscles usually reside.  My core is not quite where I thought it was so I only got 52 sit-ups in.  That's okay though, because I only needed 50 to pass.  The last component of the APFT is the 2 mile run.  I was a little bit worried about this one as well, only because my speed and fitness level seem to be significantly lower than they used to be.  I needed to run the 2 miles in under 19:36 to pass and crossed the finish line at 15:35!  I was so happy to have a good pace partner and we seemed to be about on the same page.  I did kind of want to pass out after the first of 6 laps though.  I passed the APFT at 18 weeks pregnant, though, and that made me feel like a rockstar! 


The next phase of the competition was the obstacle course.  Each battery was timed as we ran through together and the time of the last finisher was clocked.  Thankfully only one of us had to go over the wall so I offered a boost to the woman who went over.  Our method was flawless, two of us approached the wall first and got set for the boost, Gina then came running and got herself as high as she could, just as her upward momentum slowed we gave her a small boost up and over and continued on.  I am happy to say that I finished the obstacle course first for the battery, another point that I am very proud of.

The last part of the competition was the EST or the simulation training.  We shot 40 rounds and needed to 23 targets at different distances to qualify as a marksman. We first shot 20 rounds, I got kind of fatigued at the end and missed most of the second half of that...oh well.  We then reloaded and shot 10 rounds.  I hit 7 of 10.  We reloaded one last time and shot another 10 rounds, I hit 9 of ten on this one, that made me very happy!  I qualified with 25/40, not bad, but I could have done better.  I am happy though because my shooting was second in the battery.  Okay, I think I am done bragging about myself, but I am just so darn proud of me for competing as well as I did with you getting so big.  When all batteries were finished we returned to the BN area for a cookout and awards ceremony.  The battery that I competed with won!!  It was so much fun, I can no longer move though because I am so exhausted.  Thanks for that Baby C! Pictures to come!




Workouts: Saturday and Sunday were soccer, Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday I trained with Sybil, and Friday I competed in the Molly Pitcher competition.

Cravings: None

Symptoms:  The "special" pain that comes with running/soccer/intense activity and my stomach clearly indicates that you are there.

That's all for now!

Love,

Your Mama

1 comment:

  1. WOW! You are so busy...I'm exhausted on your behalf :)

    ReplyDelete