Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Throwback...Wednesday??

I should have really done this on Monday, but was lacking some serious motivation, so here we are 2 days later.

Monday, June 13 was the 3 year anniversary of when Brian and I got engaged.  I seriously can't believe its been 3 years since that day in San Francisco.  I'll copy the blurb which I posted on our wedding website and then reflect on it.  Here it is:

The day started with a train ride on BART from near Brian's hometown into San Francisco. We departed the train and made our way up the street to catch a cable car, we were going to do the tourist thing in San Francisco. We caught a cable car and got to ride around for a bit, really getting to see the city, from the tops and bottoms of hills. When the car approached Ghirradeli Square we got off and walked along the water and then made our way over to Fisherman's Wharf. We enjoyed a breadbowl with clam chowder and a local beer for lunch then toured some Navy vessels that were at the Wharf. Next, we made our way over to an old army post, Fort Mason and walked around the local neighborhoods. Then we walked along the water and found a kite-boarding competition where we sat and watched for a bit. After leaving there the next stop was Chrissy Field, an old military airfield where we enjoyed a little bit of history. Then it was time for the Golden Gate Bridge. We crossed once in the heavy fog and wind and after unsuccessfully trying to bum a ride back across we hauled back against the wind. By the time we reached the point where we began we were both exhausted, hungry and our legs and feet were aching. We agreed on Chinatown for dinner and started the venture to the other side of the city. As we were walking looking for a cab Brian wanted to make one more stop, the Exploratorium, a place he loved as a kid. Much to our disappointment it was a members only night and we were not able to go inside. The Exploratorium just so happens to be situated right next to the beautiful Palace of Fine Arts. Since we were already there we decided to walk around and look at it. Brian coyly spotted some benches and led me over to them and sat me down. When i scooted over and patted the seat for him to join me he just looked at me. After a little pause he grabbed my hands and got down on one knee. It was in a nervous and slightly shaking voice, but with a hint of his confidence breaking through that he asked me if I would spend the rest of my life with him. I couldn't stop smiling and lept into his arms, kissing him and saying "YES!" He then gave his tired legs a rest and joined me on the bench, only breaking our kiss to ask "So you will marry me??". I could only smile and say "Of course!"


Like I said, its hard to believe that its already been 3 years.  We have been through so much since then and grown so much as a couple.  The main things that put the biggest smile on my face when remembering that day are the fact that I was complaining about how much my feet hurt and thinking solely of sitting down while he was plotting his proposal and the pure shock and overwhelming love that I felt when I saw him nervously take a deep breath and get down on one knee.  When we would fondly recount the day he would always just say "I am just so glad you said yes".  That summer was one of the best summers of my life and I can still remember all the little details of the summer.  It was followed by 2 very difficult years (mainly because of our geographical separation) and one of the most joyous years of my life.  Its been almost a year since Brian returned from Afghanistan and we are more connected to each other than ever and in such a wonderful place in our lives.  
On the cable car

Hills of San Francisco




Ghirardelli Square

Kite boards

Just before our trek across the Golden Gate Bridge


Just seconds after he proposed!

My beautiful ring




So, I thank my wonderful husband and best friend for taking that leap of faith with me and putting his heart out on the line by asking me to be his wife.  

No comments:

Post a Comment