Thursday, June 30, 2011

Copycat

**DISCLAIMER: This post is a vent, if you don't want to hear me complain then do not continue reading!**

What I really want to write about today is a copycat.  I have one BIG TIME.  I know they say that copying is the highest form of flattery, but holy moly!  At first is didn't bother me so much, but now its kinda starting to drive me crazy.  The first time I really noticed it was when I made the blog public for the first time.  I had been working on it for a few weeks and updating every little new thing that occurred each week, much as I do now.  Almost immediately after I announced my blog the copy cat created a blog with the exact same formatting, template and everything.  The copycat even copied the content of the blog (almost verbatim only with horrible spelling and grammar).  Copycat did not keep up with their blog though, it would have been interesting to see how similar it was to mine after several weeks.

The next thing that I noticed copycat doing was basically copying exactly what I put as my Facebook status (maybe its a cyber copycat).  I started updating more frequently to see how similar they would be and the status copying started coming quicker and quicker after my updates, or at least I started noticing.  The real straw that broke my back for the tolerance of this copying came within the last week after my Throwback Thursday post.  If you remember, I posted about Brian's graduation and commissioning.  There are several photos of his pinning ceremony where he is wearing his Class A's.  You will also remember that I was quite excited about being able to pin on Brian's CPT rank because I did not pin him as a 2LT at West Point or a 1LT because he was in Korea...so I have been waiting to do this for over 3 years.  Copycat has a significant other that is in Brian's promotion group (there are close to 3000 of them, none of which are officially promoted until 1 July) and started talking about the significant other's promotion.  That's fine, copycat is allowed to be excited too, but copycat started talking to people about pinning ceremonies with Class A's and such.  I'm not sure if copycat realizes it, but officers don't wear Class A's anymore and haven't for quite some time.  Brian's class was the last to graduate from West Point that was commissioned in their Class A's, no other classes even had to think about purchasing them.  This is a reminder to check your info before you act like you know what you're talking about.

Onto the next thing...copying me verbatim.  After Brian got promoted I noted that "Captain Carlson has a nice ring to it".  I say this because I like alliteration (copycat, that refers to the repetition of a particular sound in the first syllables of a series of words and/or phrases).  Just as I think that Lieutenant Lapointe has a nice ring to it, as does Major Marbut.  Well, not only yesterday, but today as well, copycat wrote that significant other's name preceded by Captain has a nice ring to it (significant other has no alliteration in their name and title)....gee...I wonder where I've heard that before!!!  Come on, create and use some of your own ideas! Or at least paraphrase.


Now, I know that this does not seem like a big deal, but I'm a hormone casserole and I have never liked to be copied (except of course if we are close close friends, but then its not really copying).  Its also annoying to me that copycat can't give my husband like 2 seconds on HIS DAY to shine, copycat had to make it about their significant other immediately after reading what I wrote.  I would have been happy to congratulate your significant other on their day had you not tried to steal Brian's 2 seconds of thunder.  In fact, I did congratulate many of Brian's classmates on that same day, so I do realize that the world does not revolve around us and that he was not the only one in the world being promoted that day.  Anyways, I'm just tired of being copied to this extent, that's the whole purpose of this rant.


Since I am going off about my copycat I do have to admit that I got the idea for this blog from another woman.  She kept a blog throughout her pregnancy, in letter form, to her unborn baby and I thought it was a really cute idea.  She was able to document a lot of neat stuff, so I thought that I might borrow the idea when I became pregnant.  My blog is VERY different from hers though and it is coming well after her baby's birth.  So, on the off chance that you might read my blog I want to thank you for your cute idea!


Rant End!


Note to self: I might make my next blog post a spelling lesson for copycat.

4 comments:

  1. their vs there vs they're
    weather vs whether
    goes not gose
    does not dose
    vowels vs vows
    ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. and is not to be used in place of a period

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha. I love you :) And fyi... one day when I am preggo I AM going to copycat your cake gender idea... although I also saw it on good morning america the other day so I don't feel like I'm 100% stealing from you :) but I would rather not have it in front of all of America.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I literally laughed out loud when I read, "hormone casserole"....can I steal that line someday?! HA! Love reading your blog, Marianna!!! You are an adorable preggo too.

    ReplyDelete