Friday, October 14, 2011

What's In a Name?

Mikey,

As many of my loyal readers know, we had quite the time picking a name for you.  In fact, we didn't really decide on anything until shortly after arriving in Oklahoma.  There were names that we both liked, names that I loved and your dad hated, names that he loved and I hated, it was quite the debate.  By the time we actually decided on a name we chose to keep it a secret and continued to tell people that we hadn't settled on anything.  The name that we chose is full of meaning to both of us and we think that its important that you know the significance of your name.  You are named after 3 people, in particular and there are a few others that share the same name that kind of sealed the deal.  

The first name that we settled on was your middle name.  Raymond is your grandfather's name and he is one hell of a man.  He is the kind of father that most kids dream about having and is a wonderful role model to your father.  You are a lucky little guy to have someone so special in your life.  It was important to us to honor  him by using his name and we hope that you understand how special this name is to us.
Your grandpa Ray and I dancing at your father's and my wedding
Your first name, Michael, is also of great importance.  Since I am still extremely hormonal I cry when I tell people about your name.  You are named after several very important people in my life.  The first is my Uncle Mike.  He has been so wonderful to me, always showing interest in my life and being nothing short of spectacular.  He is brilliant, fun, and kind hearted, a truly great man.  He cares so deeply about family and has a huge heart for animals.  It was important to us to honor him by using his name, he's has been such a positive role model in my life.  
Uncle Mike with two of his dogs
You are also named after my cousin, Mikey.  Mikey is a year and a half older than me and he, Lindsey, and I were like the 3 musketeers growing up.  We were so close and always had so much fun together.  I would fight with Mikey like he was my brother, but we loved each other so much.  We saw less of each other as we got older, but we still had a strong bond.  After graduating high school, Mikey joined the Air Force, completed training, and was stationed out in California (ironically, right down the road from your dad's family).  Early one evening, Mikey was riding his motorcycle and struck by and semi-truck.  EMS pronounced him dead upon arrival.  Upon hearing this news I was absolutely heartbroken and devastated.  My cousin, my buddy...was gone.  After his passing I vowed to name my first born son after him.  I can still feel his presence every now and then, hear his laugh and see his smile.  It warms my heart to call you by his name.
*Picture of Mikey has to be scanned and added, coming soon*

The last person that your name is linked to is Uncle Joe.  His middle name is Michael, so he was pretty stoked  when he learned what your name was.  He is also another wonderful man, your dad's best friend and one of my best friends too.  He is going to spoil you rotten!
Uncle Joe and Aunt Maddi toasting at our wedding
So, Mikey, you have a pretty big name to live up to.  With role models like these you will become one hell of a man!  I love you my little dude!

No comments:

Post a Comment