Tuesday, October 9, 2012

20 Miles

On Saturday I reached the peak of my marathon training!  We had our 20 mile run and I was seriously dreading/scared of it.  I didn't get much sleep the night before because I was waiting for Joe and Anna to arrive.  Just about the time I fell asleep they got here with the dogs.  I slept in Mikey's room and he sensed the excitement and woke up.  I put him in bed with me...BAD IDEA...that kid moves around like its his job.

So anyways, our run was on the American Tobacco Trail out in Apex at 7 am.  Joe decided to go with me with the dogs and do 10.  We ran the first 10 together, which is an out and back to the right of the start point.  When we started back we didn't see any other TNT runners the entire time...this was odd because I am generally one of the faster runners of the group and I am the fastest of the 3 that were doing 20.  I decided that it was probably just because I used the restroom at the 5 mile mark and everyone else must have passed me then.  So Joe took off with the dogs after we completed about 10 miles and I continued on to the left of the start point.  I had to do another 5 miles out and 5 back.  Once I hit about 13 miles I saw one of our coaches in a bright green shirt in the distance.  I could tell he was running with someone so I decided that it would be my goal to catch up with them by the time I hit 15...this wouldn't really push my pace too much.  It actually didn't push my pace at all because I was catching up with the runners that are slower than me.  Turns out, I ran an extra half mile going out and coming back on my first out and back.  There is a place where the trail makes an L and we were supposed to turn around at the corner of the L...not run to the end of it.  I definitely ran to the end of it...explaining why everyone caught up and I never saw them!

I caught up with the other girls and decided to run the rest of the way back with them, I was tired and their pace provided a little rest for me.  We reached about 18 miles and I was actually feeling pretty good and thinking to myself how amazing it was that I managed to make it all the way to the taper period without injuring myself.  Well...I thought too soon...I rolled my ankle on a stupid pine cone just enough to sprain it and make it swell up.  It made a nice loud pop and I wanted to kick myself.  Since my lovely ankles have had their fare share of injuries I knew that there was no way I was going to make the next 2 miles back if I didn't haul ass.  So I took off at what felt like a sprint.  I finally made it back to the start and burst into tears from pain and exhaustion...and frustration.  Blah...at least I finished the 20 miles...that was really important mentally for me.  My whole body felt great the next day...I wasn't sore at all, maybe a bit fatigued and hungry, but all around fine (aside from the ankle).  I really believe that I can run a marathon...I can't wait to do it!  19 days!!

I'm $135 shy of my fundraising goal...please help me get there! The deadline is Oct 22!

No comments:

Post a Comment