I rang in the new year in Raleigh last year with Mikey while Brian had already returned to OK, but we celebrated early downtown at First Night Raleigh. I stayed in NC for a few more days to spend time with family and friends before heading back to OK. We learned that we were stuck in Oklahoma for the foreseeable future and
I headed home in February to spend 2 weeks with my mom while she recovered from a pretty big toe surgery. Trying to take care of Mikey and her at the same time was quite a task, although she helped a lot by holding him while I was trying to do other things around the house.
In March, Brian and I ran a half marathon in memory of our good friend, Evan Miller. Brian then ran another half marathon in Dallas just to see how fast he could run it. He ran the first one with the stroller (9 miles of it at least) and still blew me away. He waited for me at the end though so that we could finish together. This was one of my goals to get back in shape after having Mikey and it was very therapeutic to run for Evan. Brian also graduated from Captain's Career Course and joined his unit here at Ft Sill.
In April, we ran the Tough Mudder...IT WAS AWESOME! I didn't get to run it with a team, which kinda sucked, but I did find someone who was running at my pace and we were able to chat the entire way and finish together. We learned that Evan's dad's cancer had returned which lit a fire under my butt to FINALLY join Team in Training. I signed up within 24 hours of learning that his cancer was back. K.C. was attacked by one of the may stray cats that frequent our yard. Annnddd...Mikey started crawling...the beginning of a lot of chasing for me! We attended a good friend's wedding in Houston, leaving Mikey overnight for the first time (This is when he met his grandparents for the first time!).
In May, Brian flew out to Alaska to drive most of the way cross country with our dear friend, Joe. They picked up our boat in California and showed up here in the wee hours of the morning just a few days later. Mikey took his first boat ride and watched us both wakeboard. He absolutely LOVED the boat and being out at the lake. Mikey also got to meet his Uncle Joe for the first time!! Two days after returning back here we learned that Brian would be replacing an injured member of an SFAT team that had deployed from here. We were given 13 days for this to sink and and for him to get ready to go. He worked long days and was given no real family time in those days.
During the first week of June, we ran the Warrior Dash, we had to say goodbye to Brian, and we packed up and moved back to NC. Later in June, we travelled to Michigan and visited with my aunt and uncle at their beautiful home that holds so many childhood memories for me. Mikey took his first 4 steps. I also started training for my first marathon.
In July, Mikey and I headed to Sneads Ferry to celebrate Tyler's first birthday and we had a fun little sleepover. Several friends made their way to NC for the 4th of July and we visited my old college stomping grounds. It was so great to see Ashley, Joe, Rob, and to meet Anna. We enjoyed a fun day at Masonboro and spent a few days on the beach with Mikey. I joined a summer kickball team with Franny and Christian. We became addicted to going to Marbles with Franny and Colt. Mikey also started using walking as his primary mode of transportation.
In August, I reconnected with an old friend from high school and we ran a Spartan Race together. We also volunteered the following day in a not so fun thunderstorm.
In September I put Mikey in Gymnastics, Gymboree, and we took lots of trips to different parks, museums, and playgrounds. Mikey got his first haircut and we spent a lot of time hanging out with Franny and Colt...and of course Nay Nay! I also continued running an insane amount of miles in preparation for my races. Christy was nice enough to keep me motivated and run with me.
In October, we celebrated Mikey's first birthday. It was a ton of fun and huge success. I spent a few days at the beach with one of my best and oldest friends, then Mikey, Nay Nay, and I drove up to Maryland for the UMD/NCSU football game and celebrated my birthday. I ran the Army 10-Miler in DC with Wear Blue: Run to Remember. The following weekend I ran the Color Me Rad 5K with Christy and then headed up to DC to run my first marathon. I ran the Marine Corps Marathon, my first ever marathon, with Wear Blue: Run to Remember and ran beside some of my Team in Training teammates and coaches. We ran while the outer bands of "Hurricane" Sandy was coming ashore. To cap off the month we took Mikey trick-or-treating for the first time! SO MUCH FUN!
In Novemeber, I ran my second marathon in 7 days with Team in Training. It was the culmination of 6 months of hard training and it was oh so rewarding. The following weekend I ran a 10K in Raleigh with Christy and Trey. We attended the National Debutante Cotillion and Thanksgiving Ball over Thanksgiving and then headed home to pack up our things.
On December 1 we headed back to Oklahoma, stopping in Nashville to stay with my cousins for the night. Brian arrived home, safe and sound, on December 8...it was PURE BLISS! Definitely the happiest moment of the year. On December 18, my sweet sweet kitty and furry baby of almost 12 years was poisoned and passed away. It was one of the worst moments of the entire year. We were able to celebrate Christmas as a family of 3, and while we were missing our families and homes, it was indescribably wonderful to be able to spend this day together. We were blessed with a white Christmas and Mikey was able to play in the snow for the first time. We concluded the year with Mikey acquiring a nasty stomach bug. He has thrown up a few times and had the most disgusting diarrhea that doesn't seem to want to stay in his diaper. HAPPY NEW YEAR!
And just for the record...I still have not sent out my Christmas cards :-)
Oh...and maybe this year I will start proof-reading my blog posts...maybe...






















No comments:
Post a Comment