Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A Day of Firsts

Today marked 2 milestones in Baby C world.

1-Mikey and I took our first solo trip to the commissary. I was slightly nervous, not about how he would behave because he is always so good when we take him out, but about how I was going to load and unload the cart, reach things high on shelves, and grab the 24 packs of water and put them under the cart. I put Mikey in my beloved baby carrier (it's seriously the best thing ever and it's magic, just like his car seat) because I knew there would be no room for his car seat in the big basket and it's super unsafe to put it in the seat part, so strapping him to me allowed me to maximize my shopping cart space and use of my hands. Anyways, I shopped for about an hour and he slept the entire time, he was so good. I successfully reached everything I needed and loaded the cart with no issues. When I got to the check out line one of the baggers unloaded the cart for me, I really appreciated that. Now for those of you that don't know the baggers at the commissary work for tips only and will help you out to your car and load the groceries into the car. I am always hesitant to use them because I NEVER have cash and I don't really want to pay someone for something that I am perfectly capable of doing myself. Today, I was more than happy to utilize their services so as I was checking out I got $10 cash...a 5 and five 1s. I decided that $3 was appropriate for the amount of stuff I had so I kept the 3 in my hand and put the rest in my back pocket. *Now here is the highlight of the trip* As we approached the car I pulled my keys outof my back pocket to unlock the door. As I did so the remaining $7 fell out of my pocket. Right as I approached the bills to pick them up the wind picked up and the bills started running away from me. I was about to step on them and the wind blew them just out of reach again. This happened a couple times until the bagger, this old Korean woman who hardly speaks any English, says "you watch cart...I chase". (yes, I just said that with a Korean accent). Just as she goes after the bills a huge gust of wind picks up and the bills took of...so did she. I had to use every ounce of self control not to pee my pants laughing as I watch this woman chase my money the entire length of the parking lot...doing her little shuffle run. I'm laughing just thinking about it! Anyways, she returns with the money a few minutes later and through my laughs I tell her to just keep it...she earned it.

2-Just after we returned from our grocery shopping Mikey and I were sitting on the couch. I was looking at him, admiring his cuteness, when I kissed his nose. Just as I pulled away he looks up at me and gives me the biggest toothless smile. I wasn't so sure the smile was directed at me, so I kissed his nose again...same reaction! I then tried his cheek...same reaction! Seconds later Brian walked through the door and I excitedly told him what had just happened. He then looked at Mikey, said "hi little man!" and kissed him and he gave him a big old grin too! November 16, 2011: Mikey's first voluntary smile!!

No comments:

Post a Comment