Oh man...I seems as if I should have made my weekly blogging a new year's resolution. I haven't been very good about updating, I have been busy though.
Since my last update/blogbomb a few exciting things have happened. I've got to scan in some pictures of Mikey and friends, but I have had a hard time getting access to the big computer at the house...it seems as if someone is slightly addicted to this new Star Wars game.
Anyways, I am staying on track with my training and Sam and I even ran in the Polar Bear Plunge 5K last Saturday. Since 3 miles is pretty easy for us our goal was more than to just finish, but we didn't think that we were anywhere near in shape enough to compete. There were all these track kids doing actual warm-ups and stuff. We decided just to set a goal for a time. Since we generally run around a 10:30-11 minute pace with the strollers (way harder than it looks) we set our goal for the half marathon to be a 10 minute pace. When we run without the strollers we hover around that 10 minute pace, but our milage is not very high yet. We have maxed out right at about 5 miles so far. We decided to set our goal to finish the 5K in under 30 minutes since that would be slightly faster then our 10 minute goal pace for the half. Its kind of a bummer that they didn't chip time up, there was just a clock, because we did about a minute of walking at the beginning and neither of us saw the clock right as we finished. I made a booboo and indulged in a little too much beer the night before, so I couldn't keep up the fast pace that we set at the beginning of the race. However, Sam was able to keep a fast pace the entire time and ended up finishing 3rd!! I finished about 20-30 seconds behind her and we both were well under our 30 minute goal! I figure I ran just over a 9 minute mile pace and Sam ran just under 9 minutes. NOT BAD!
When the miserable running was over we were all allowed to go inside and warm up just long enough to have second thoughts about jumping in Lake Elmer Thomas. I fogot to mention that it was 25 degrees. We decided to do it since we went out there for it so they shuttled us all over to the plunge point. We stood outside freezing for about 15 minutes, enough time to lose feeling in our extremeties, before being instructed on the proper way to plunge. Once given the okay we ran full speed into the water and dove right in. It was so miserable...so so so cold! Sam and I gave eachother looks of complete shock, screamed, then hauled ass out of the water. We changed into dry clothes on the beach, but had absolutely no feeling in our hands or feet. Our hair froze...we looked ridiculous! All in all it was a fun time and Sam rocked the run! I'm so proud of her!
![]() |
| Post race |
![]() |
| Lake Elmer Thomas...soooo cold |
![]() |
| It was so cold out there...25 degrees |
![]() |
| Ready to plunge |
![]() |
| SOOOO COLD!!! |
My mom had some joint reconstuction surgery on her big toe (the x-rays are gnarley!) on Friday, so Mikey and I decided to fly back to Raleigh to take care of her. She is doing really well...overdoing things actually, but I think she will have a quick and successful recovery.
Mikey was AWESOME on the plane...not a peep. He slept the entire time. The flight was pretty smooth for me too, I travelled with less stuff this time which made a huge difference. The only problem was on the long flight I happened to be seated next to a woman who definitely needed to purchase 2 seats...she was freaking HUGE! Mikey got nailed in the head by a flight attendant because I either had to have his head hanging off the side into the aisle or have it resting in the fat rolls of some disgusting woman sweating perfusely. I opted for the aisle. We got to Raleigh with no issues and Franny met us at baggage claim. She is such an awesome friend, she has been loaning me baby stuff (both of xmas leave and now) so that I don't have to go buy a bunch. She is even loaning me her infant carrier because the convertible car seat is just a little bit of a pain in the butt right now. It was the cutest thing ever seeing Colt and Mikey sitting side by side in the back of her Tahoe. Mikey was screaming because he was hungry and Colt was looking at him like "Dude...what is your problem, life is sweet!"
I have kept up running while at home, its burtal with the hills here and add the stroller to the eqution...yeah... I weighed Mikey because it was horrible running with him yesterday and our scale says that he is right around 19lbs. Now...home scales can be somewhat off...but I think he's definitely close to that. He's getting so heavy! He's really long too, I have to bend his knees under to rock him because he's getting so tall. He has started turning the pages in books, its the cutest thing! He is really learning to use his hands, they get more functional every day. Its just amazing watching how much he develops on a daily basis.
Mikey's eyes are officially no longer blue. They made the change a couple weeks ago, I'm not 100% sure when, but it looks like they are going to be the same color as mine. They are mostly green with a bit of brown in them. They change color depending on what we are wearing or with the amount of sun. I'm pretty excited, especially since he's starting to look more and more like Brian. At least that's what everyone says. What do you think?
Alright...I think that's enough for now...I seem to have a problem keeping my blogs short.
Marianna





No comments:
Post a Comment