Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Stuck

Well...I am pretty bummed out to report that we are officially stuck in the middle of the country nowhere for who knows how long.  Let me start from the beginning:

We moved to Oklahoma in August so that Brian could attend Field Artillery Captain's Career Course which is basically a 6 month class that refreshes FA officers on all the stuff they learned upon commissioning.  It also teaches them how to be a battery commander and how to do other jobs that they will hold as a Captain (at least from my understanding that is what it is).  Each branch of the Army has its own specific CCC held in differnt locations.  Since Fort Sill is the home of the Field Artillery this is where all of us lucky red legs and red leg ladies get sent for any artillery related stuff.  Basically, Lawton is where happiness and dreams go to die.  You always encounter those few people that are from Lawton that will try to tell you that its really a cool place and they love it...they are insane.  I can usually see what someone would like about a place even if its not for me, but unless you just love titty bars, gang fights, lack of any type of real shopping or dining I just don't get it.  I'm getting off topic here...I'm sure I will have plenty of blogs telling you what a hell hole this place is, but that is for later. 

Anyways, about halfway through CCC Branch sends out a list of available spots/jobs that the class can choose from.  You choose based on time deployed, dwell time, and a few other factors.  We were supposed to get the list around Thanksgiving and did not.  We got ours extremely late.  Branch was supposed to come out and talk to Brian's class before Christmas, have them put in preferences, and then assign them a spot...well, that didn't happen either.  Branch didn't make it out until last Monday and the guys put in their preferneces.  The original email said to choose 5 locations (and you should get one of your five).  Our list was pretty terrible, but we made some choices that we were alright with.  Our top choice was to go to Fort Jackson, SC to be near my family and Brian would take command of a Basic Training Company.  On Monday when they went in the list had changed and Jackson was no longer there.  Johnny on the spot (no discussion with family whatsoever) they were asked to give their preferences.  Since the only other place with an immediate command was Fort Sill Brian put that at the top of his list.  It is only about a year gig and there was a chance that we wouldn't get it (I prayed for that to happen) and we would get another one of our choices.  They only took down 3 of Brian's choices and when Brian did not get the Basic Training spot at Sill they decided to keep him here anyways.  They just stuck him in a Fires Brigade here...so now not only are we stuck in stupid Fort Sill, but we don't know how long we are stuck here for.  FML! 

I'm sure you are wondering why Brian wanted a command so badly right away...well its because he wants to teach at West Point and isn't eligible for the program until he has had a command. 

I am so upset and disappointed.  The only good thing is that my best Army friend, Sam, will be here too.  I wasn't really ready to say goodbye to her, so we will make it work.  I am, however in a craptastic mood and will continue to be in one for probably a week.  Please...don't try to make it sound like OK is some hidden little treasure...its not...it sucks.

Marianna

No comments:

Post a Comment