When we were in NC my mom worked some sort of baby magic voodoo and got Mikey on this fantastic schedule. She had him eating, napping, and going to bed like clockwork. He was sleeping 9-12 hours every night and sleeping well. I have no clue how or what she did. She just has a magic touch, I guess. When we got back to OK he continued this for a few days and then decided that he did not want to nap anymore. He would cry because he was tired so I would rock him to sleep. As soon as I would put him down in his crib he would give me about 5-10 minutes and then wake up. And not just fuss a little, but full on ready to play awake. It was like the minute I started a task he would start crying and wanted to be held. It was so frustrating and my house was a wreck!
I decided to give it a week and if it continued we were going to start the Cry and Comfort method. I had this original goal to work with my baby and not ever let him cry it out. I still have mixed feelings on it, but I think cry and comfort is a good mix. Thankfully, I did not have to resort to letting him cry, I just slightly adjusted his daytime schedule. He would usually wake up around 8:30 or 9 to eat then play for about an hour. He would then go down for a nap about an hour and a half after waking up and sleep for an hour to an hour and a half. I started keeping him awake for 2 hours until it was just livid at me for keeping him up and then rocking him to sleep. I know I know..."don't rock the baby to sleep because they become dependent on it"...well...I like rocking my baby to sleep and I'm the one that will have to deal with breaking the habit eventually...I am okay with this. This has worked beautifully. His naps are a little bit shorter, but his nights are getting longer. He's been going down about 9 every night and sleeping until about 6. Around six...seven this morning...he will eat and go right back to sleep until 10!!! I LOVE this since I usually get up around 8:30. I actually get a little morning time to myself!
I think when he hits 4 months I'm going to start the cry and comfort, I would like to try to get him to fall asleep when I lay him down in his crib. My plan is to lay him down and I will sit in the room. I will then let him cry for 3-4 minutes before picking him up and calming him down. The plan is to let the crying go a minute longer each day and then eventually be able to leave the room immediately. Hopefully this will work quickly and I will have an update on my success!
No comments:
Post a Comment